SIDEBAR
E
B
A
R
How To Make Homemade Taho or Tau Huay
July 4th, 2011 by niceyfemme

(First time I’ve tried making a video so forgive me for mediocre editing skills.)

I’ve been bad, really bad at blogging as I’ve been behind with lots of posts. Like with this taho trial, this is now my second attempt and the first trial I haven’t posted here tsk tsk! This time, I used Gypsum or Calcium Sulfate or Plaster of Paris. Don’t worry, it is safe as you only eat a small amount of it with every bowl of this heavenly dessert. The first trial I did made use of GDL or Gluco Delta Lactone. It is what they say is healthier as it is naturally found in fruits. So now that I’ve tried both, I can better compare two taho using GDL and Gypsum.

By the way, I’ve tried searching for “How to make homemade taho” but I did not find any. Well there’s one, but purely instructions and no way to know if that recipe is reliable or not. I wanted one with photos so it’s easier to follow and I’ll know what to expect visually as if you are doing it yourself. So now, I’m doing it. It’s a bit of a challenge to take pictures and trying not to mess it up but the taho/ tau huay we ate tasted and looked exactly like taho so I definitely succeeded again.

I can proudly say I have successfully made taho using both lactone and gypsum. Oh yes!

Here’s my recipe:

200 grams of soy beans (pre-soaked overnight)

1 liter of water

3/4 tsp of gypsum/calcium sulfate EDIT: Or use 1/2 tsp of lactone/GDL instead of gypsum

60 ml. of water

For the Brown Sugar Syrup/Arnibal: Mix 1 part brown sugar and 1 part water and mix well . Bring to boil. (Use the darkest brown/black sugar you can find.)

Skinned and washed beans, 60 ml water to dilute the 3/4tsp gypsum in, 1 liter of water and sago (tapioca pearls).

Difference of soaked beans overnight and unsoaked beans.

Step 1. After soaking the beans over night, gently rub the soy beans with your fingers to remove the ‘skin’. Then wash the beans.

Step2. Put half of the beans and water into the blender. So two batches.  (If you have a bigger blender than ours, then go ahead blend all the soy beans and 1 liter of water at once.)

Pulse first. Important to do so since soy beans is one of the hardest beans there is. This is why we soak the beans overnight too, to soften it up.

Continue until well blended.

Step 3. Transfer to a cheesecloth to strain.

Then do the same with the second batch left.

Then squeeze until you get all the milk. (This is a workout in itself.) 🙂

Discard the white flesh(?) left in the strainer.

Then strain again in another container, total of 3 times.

Step 4. Transfer to a stock pot and boil in medium high heat. Stir once in awhile to prevent from overflowing. Once it boils, simmer for 10 minutes. Be careful with this part, you might burn your skin with overflowing soy milk.

Boiling soy milk rises quickly, be careful to prevent overflowing. Just stir quickly or lower the heat.

Step 5. After boiling, strain once more. Now you have soy milk. Set aside.

Step 6. Dilute the gypsum in 60 ml of water. Make sure it’s well diluted.

Step 7. In a rice cooker or any pot like clay pot that retains heat well, pour the gypsum-water mixture and soy milk from a height of 1 1/2 feet. This is to make sure that the gypsum and soy milk are diluted well. You CANNOT mix this at this point. Then cover with a hand towel then cover and set it aside and NEVER PEEK for 45 minutes.

Now you have your own homemade taho! I hope you have your sago or tapioca pearls and brown sugar syrup. I made mine using the darkest brown sugar I found, it’s so dark it’s almost black and it’s called negra. 🙂 My fussy mom with high standards likes my taho! I’m so happy.

The first time using GDL was successful too. I like that one too and using GDL is more forgiving with texture if you put a bit more GDL but it will taste a bit sour. With gypsum it has no taste but you have to make sure your soy beans and water ratio is correct, if not then you’ll have watery taho or if you put more then it will curdle. With GDL, the taho/tau huay/ tau fufa is more gelatine like and flatter, with gypsum it’s more springy(?) and like a flan. I hope I’m making sense. 🙂 So which I prefer? Hmmmn, I can’t choose I like them both. I like that I have them both in our kitchen though. I can just use whichever I prefer.

I bought my GDL or lactone in Phoon Huat in Singapore and it was S$1+.. I don’t remember anymore. The gypsum I was able to find in a bakery store in Bacoor after searching for it here (Philippines) for years and it was only PHp 28.00 per 500 grams so gypsum is cheaper and you only use 3/4 teaspoon per recipe. No wonder taho vendors get rich. Maybe I should make this into a business. Hmmmn…… But I should use GDL for people who love taho but is not comfortable using gypsum/ plaster of paris (even though it is safe).

Now start doing this ‘experiment’. It is very rewarding knowing you can make this at home. It was not an easy feat for me as information is not readily available and I had to make a lot of research for this. Oooh! I’m thinking of another business. Taho making kit! LOL!

EDIT: 15 July 2011

I made another batch of taho and it just gets easier and easier as you get more familiar with it. Oh and this time around, after pouring that gypsum-water solution and the soy milk, I quickly removed the foam on top and immediately placed the towel and closed it. The result is smooth top and you don’t have to throw away the foam once it’s set. I’ll make another batch on Sunday and this time I’ll try a different soy beans-gypsum ratio.

EDIT:  22 July 2012

Here’s a photo of GDL or lactone I buy in Phoon Huat in Singapore in case some of you are interested to know how it looks like. I usually put this in my check in baggage just to be safe. This is pretty cheap (SGD1+) but is more pricey than gypsum. You only use less than a tsp for every recipe so a bottle lasts long. I got real busy and had no time to make my taho recently, too bad these are now expired. 🙁

Related Posts with Thumbnails

243 Responses
    May 11th, 20129:37 amat

You’re welcome. Let me know how it goes…

• Mua writes:
    May 26th, 20127:44 pmat

Thank you so much for this recipe. However, may I ask if “lye water” (one of ingredients in making kutsinta) can be a substitute to “lactone/GDL” or “gypsum”? Looking forward to hear from you.

Mabuhay!

May 27th, 201211:06 amat

Sorry can’t use that. Just won’t work… 🙂

• Soy Lover writes:
    May 28th, 20125:12 pmat

Hi. Do you think using gelatin powder could replace the gypsum?
    Also, if I used commercial soymilk rather than extracting it myself, would it be fine?

May 29th, 20127:44 pmat

No and no… I believe there are no other short cuts in making taho.

• Marie writes:
    June 11th, 201211:17 pmat

HI Niceyfemme!

Thank you for contacting me. I deeply apologize for using your picture without permission. I have credited what is due for you. Unless you would want me to put it down, I would. Let me know. When I did the post, it was after we made a taho at my friend’s house and didn’t get the chance to capture anymore. I turned to gooogle for public images without even bothering to find out which site it belonged to. I plan to use it temporarily till I capture my own on my next batch. But I got into other stuffs and forgot about it. My bad! Thank you for reminding me and credit what you deserve for a long time now. Again, I am deeply sorry.

Warm regards,
    Marie

June 12th, 201212:43 pmat

First of all, permission should be asked from the publisher (which is myself) before using their photo(s). Credit should be given where it’s due. Then extra effort was made to crop my name in the photo that’s why it appears like you own my photo.

Just don’t do it again and please read about blogging ethics. I see you’re a blogger as well and I’m sure you wouldn’t want other people to just steal your content just like that.

• Niceyfemme's Bitter-Shweet Corner » Blog Archive » Minatamis na Saging na Saba with Sago (Sweetened Plantain Bananas with Tapioca Pearls) writes:
    June 18th, 20126:01 amat

[…] » Escabeche (Sweet and Sour Fish) on Craving for Sweet and Sour Lapu-Lapuniceyfemme on How To Make Homemade Taho or Tau HuayMarie on How To Make Homemade Taho or Tau HuayNiceyfemme's Bitter-Shweet Corner » Blog […]

• Mercy Nicolas writes:
    June 19th, 20123:12 pmat

can you pls. e-mail me the step-by-step procedures in making taho and i have a question…what is gypsum? where can i buy it here in P.I.?

tHANKS.

• jpysais writes:
    June 19th, 20125:11 pmat

Ganda ng presentation. Yung Gluco Delta Lactone, available ba sa grocery o saan? anong brand name o yun na ang pangalan nya at alam na ng grocery yun (kung duon nga nabibili). Salamat

June 20th, 20129:22 amat

Everything you asked I already answered in this post and in another one about gypsum.

June 20th, 20129:23 amat

Yung lactone as far as I know it’s not available here in the Philippines. I always buy mine from Singapore, in Phoon Huat.

• Missy writes:
    July 2nd, 20125:44 pmat

Hi niceyfemme,

Such a very helpful site. I’ve always wanted to make taho. Thank you for the step by step. Quick question though, is gypsum or calcium sulfate available in any baker’s store? I’ve been having a tough time looking for soy beans as well. They don’t have it in the groceries. Where do you get yours?

Hope to hear from you soon. Great site!

July 2nd, 201210:15 pmat

Hi Missy you are welcome. If you are in the Philippines then then the answer is no. I had to ask bakeries, bakery supplies store and palengke stalls if they have it. It took me 2 years before I found a bakery supplies store in Bacoor Cavite that sell it. Usually if they sell soybeans then they also have calcium sulfate. And yes they don’t have it in groceries.

Cheers!

Niceyfemme

• Missy writes:
    July 8th, 20123:29 pmat

Hi Niceyfemme,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was finally able to acquire the ingredients…problem is the taho doesn’t seem to form like how yours is. I waited for hours and still not happening for the taho. I did 2 batches already. The next one seems to have chunks in the middle but still liquid on top. I don’t know what i’m doing wrong esp that I followed your instruction step by step. Could it be that Im lacking calcium sulfate? I put 3/4 exactly. It says in the plastic that its calsium sulfate from Japan. Hope you could help me…kinda getting frustrating already. Thanks!

Best regards.

July 8th, 20125:31 pmat

Here are my thoughts why yours didn’t seem to solidify well. It could be the calcium sulfate… I’m not so sure it is of the same quality? Where did you buy it? Or did you pour the soy milk and calcium sulfate/lactone mixture from a height like how I did in the video? Doing so will make sure the soymilk and calcium sulfate are mixed well hence uniformity in texture. The moment those two liquids ‘meet’ they immediately react with each other so we can’t mix it by hand. If it didn’t solidify in about 50-60 minutes then it will stay that way even if you wait for hours.

Let me know how it goes.

• Missy writes:
    July 8th, 201211:10 pmat

I’ll try again tom when I get home from work. Somebody got it for me in Binondo. Do you suggest that I put more calcium sulfate? As for the pouring…I’ll try to pour it a little bit higher. You’re right it might not be the same that’s why it didn’t mix too well. Anyway, Thanks again for all your efforts in our queries. You’re the best. Btw, if the taho is unfinished, should I store it in the ref or it should be ok in room temp? Thanks again niceyfemme. 🙂

July 9th, 201212:28 pmat

Don’t change the amount of calcium sulfate as it will change the texture of your taho… Also make sure your calcium sulfate is the food grade kind…. I keep mine in the fridge then microwave it for a few seconds to reheat… 🙂

• Denz writes:
    July 22nd, 20126:42 amat

Hello Niceyfemme,

Tanung ko lang po kung san nyo nabili yung strainer ninyo? Maganda kasi
    pede mo pa pigain. 😉

Best Regards.

July 22nd, 20121:13 pmat

Yung tela ba? actually pang coffee yan called a coffee sock… Sa Singapore ko binili… You can use katcha if you don’t have this coffee sock….

• Brandy writes:
    July 25th, 20121:05 pmat

I would like to say thank you so much for the info on where to buy the gypsum/calcium sulfate for taho and tofu making. I have been to Zapote yesterday afternoon and I have found SUPER SONIC BAKERY SUPPLY just across Zapote market. I also bought other stuff from there like soya beans, the sago, and the sugar for the arnibal.

On my way to Zapote I also saw that Japanese Surplus store you mentioned where u bought the takoyaki pan. Tagal ko na naghahanap non. I just hope meron pa. I was not able to drop by the store kasi medyo pagabi na on my way back home. You’re right, malapit lang sa Cavite Coliseum.

Again, thank you so much. Your page have been so helpful to me.

I just made Soya milk this morning and after sending u this I’m gonna try making Taho.

July 25th, 20127:15 pmat

You are welcome. That is where I buy my gypsum too. 🙂

There was a time that I hit all the surplus shops I find. That’s not the surplus shop where I bought my takoyaki pan but the one right after Jollibee Niog but they relocated last I heard. I bought my large size japanese clay pot from the one near Cavite Coliseum. Great pot for serving lots of soup like sinigang and retains heat well.

Let me know how it goes. Thank you for your kind words I truly appreciate it as well.

July 25th, 20127:21 pmat

I was just there yesterday din! We might have cross paths and didn’t know it….

• Brandy writes:
    July 26th, 20122:02 pmat

here I am again… lol.. I just wanna tell you about the outcome of my Taho. It was really yummy.. the kids say it taste better than that being sold around… it is really smooth and silky. I was kinda worried it might not turn out good coz I’ve read in one of the posts by Missy about her taho. I’m really happy my taho is a big success.. lol.. thnx to you.

btw, I found recipes for the okara… yung pinagpigaan ng soya beans, but I just made my own patsambang recipe.. lol.. just like making burger patties but I used the okara instead of meat. I poured hot water, ung kakaboil lang.. siguro half cup yon.. then I covered it for awhile para maluto. At first,I tried it without the hot water kaso maaligasgas yung texture.

then I put chopped onion, (spring onion nga sana kaso wala ako non, garlic, black pepper,magic sarap, flour, 1 large egg,konting MSG, salt to taste.. walang sukat sukat.. lol..

I made the patties thinner para madaling maluto hanggang loob.. these goes well with catsup..

sayang nama kasi kung itatapon lang ung okara.. very nutritious pa naman yon diba? daming recipes online.. I’ll try another recipe next time..

• Brandy writes:
    July 26th, 20122:07 pmat

sayang di tayo nagkita sa Zapote. Baka magkapitbahay lang tayo.. lol

try ko magpunta sa Japanese Surplus this Sunday.. parang meron din ata sa may Dasma eh..

again, salamat ng marami ha..

July 26th, 20123:10 pmat

Awww I’m so happy for you! Feels great to make taho yourself right? Yup and I always tell people that taho you made yourself tastes much better coz it’s not too diluted in water so you taste the soy milk more… And you are very much welcome.. 🙂

• Brandy writes:
    July 26th, 20127:14 pmat

yeah.. it feels good making Taho at home and seeing the kids loving it.. right now as I’m writing this my nephews are asking me to make taho again.. lol.. I have made two batches: for soya milk and another for Taho..

I hope Missy would get it right din.. maybe it’s the gypsum she’s using.. di kaya expired na?

btw, I went to Singapore year 2009.. baka nagkasalubong din tayo don ah.. lol

• Brandy writes:
    July 26th, 20127:20 pmat

btw, I went to Singapore year 2009.. baka nagkasalubong din tayo don ah.. lol

thnx again.. I’m pretty sure maraming ng napapasaya tong page mo.. keep it up..

July 27th, 201210:00 pmat

HAHA..

• Denz writes:
    August 2nd, 20123:55 amat

Thanks for the feedback niceyfemme about the coffee sock. I’ll try to ask my sister who works in singapore to buy me one and the lactone if she can find it. Whats the name of the store where you bought your lactone? Is it available in supermarket or from a specialty store? Thanks for any info you can provide and more power to your site. 🙂

August 2nd, 20129:38 amat

Phoon Huat.

• BERNA writes:
    August 8th, 201211:28 amat

HI! SOOOOO much thanks, my taho was finally a success – katas ng recipe mo. i had a hard time kc with the gypsum: h2o ratio and the mixing process to harden it. 2x i tried mixing with a ladle, nung una nabuo, the 2nd went to the garbage… and now my part to share: flavored taho. I always make 2 batches – one is plain and another either melon, pandan, ube or strawberry. i add the flavocol(flavor & coloring in 1) to the soy mlk before mixing it with the gpsum mix. these flavocol are avail at Bubbles in cubao. then i use blak pearl for variation.
    Again, thanks for having been so helpful. my kids can now enjoy homemade and CLEAN taho.

August 8th, 20121:34 pmat

You’re welcome Berna. And thanks also for sharing about your flavored taho idea… I don’t know I am partial to the original recipe but I might try adding a flavor once I get tired of the plain taho… 🙂

• Manuel C. Ma writes:
    August 23rd, 201211:59 amat

Hello Ms. Niceyfemme I lost a Taho recipe given to me by a chinese friend. I’m glad I found your recipe, from all the taho recipe I got from the internet, your’s is the best! Btw, to those living in Manila or near Manila, you can buy soybeans and calcium sulfate(made in Japan and food grade)in Binondo area or Divisoria.

Can you teach us how to ferment our own, soy sauce or black vinegar? Many Thanks Again!

August 23rd, 20129:16 pmat

Hi Manuel thanks for the kind words… Hmmmn once soy sauce starts to attract my curiosity I might just do that…. 🙂

• Benjamin Gonzalez writes:
    September 2nd, 20129:49 pmat

Thanks for showing us how to make taho. our first batch did not work as planned, it came out like cottage cheese. our second batch came out so watery and out third one was great. what we found helpful is the temperature of the soy milk when you mixed it with the calcium sulfate. let it cool down for about 1 1/2 minutes then mixed together and follow Miss niceyfemme suggestions about the pouring and mixing of the coadjulant.
    i found Calcium sulfate dyhydrate from an asian store here in ohio. i also found another coadjulant called NIGARI and they both work the same. Nigari came out silky smooth which my daughter liked the best-yogurt consistency-silky smooth. salamat po sa info Miss Niceyfemme.

September 3rd, 20121:35 pmat

Hi Mr. Gonzalez thanks for leaving a comment. 🙂

Well I don’t consciously wait for 1 1/2 min before I mix the calcium sulfate with the boiling soy milk but I do strain it one last time to remove some soy milk particles that formed at the bottom of the pan. And bracing myself for the mixing of boiling soy milk from a height could well last for 1 1/2 to 2 min.

I haven’t tried Nigari though… Lactone gives that softer and silkier consistency so when I want that in my taho that’s what I use. Glad it worked for you guys. 🙂 Patikim..

• J writes:
    September 9th, 201210:26 amat

Thank you for you wonderful recipe. I’ve been wanting to make homemade taho but finding GDL is so hard even here in the US. I finally found a site where I can get it (www.modernistpantry.com $7.99 for 50grams of Lactone).
    So I made my first taho today – not too good but not bad at all. Followed all the instructions but my taho turned a little hard – not sure if it’s the lactone-water ratio (Is is 60ml water even with Lactone?) or soy-water ratio (maybe I put a little bit more soy beans) or the way I pour it or maybe the rice cooker. My rice cooker has an option of white rice, brown rice, steam, or keep warm. What setting should I choose? Today, I chose white rice for 45 mins. Please advise before I make my second try.
    Thank you very much!

September 10th, 20127:37 pmat

You’re not suppose to turn on the rice cooker dear. Also, make sure you don’t boil the soy milk longer than necessary as too much water will evaporate and your taho’s outcome will have a firmer texture. I hope your next attempt will be better! Good luck!

• JepoiXD writes:
    October 4th, 201210:48 amat

Discard the white flesh “sapal”(?) left in the strainer.

This can be use for making “Toyo” soy sauce or miso paste. 🙂

Just like in Fish sauce the liquid part is “Patis”, and the solid part is “bagoong isda”

October 4th, 20129:54 pmat

Thanks for the info 🙂 Nice to know…

• J writes:
    October 7th, 20128:41 amat

Hi, it’s J again. I made another taho without turning rice cooker on…lol… (I automatically thought I have to turn rice cooker on…may bad!!)It turned out great this time…we love, love it! Thank you!
    Just want to ask you, what if I want to make more servings in one cooking? What will be the ratio of the ingedients? And how long will I simmer and keep it in rice cooker? Thanks again!!!

• Cyrus writes:
    October 7th, 20127:24 pmat

Hi! I’m currently in the United States and I would like to share some info…
    Filipinos here mistake Soft or Silken Tofu as Taho. They think it’s the same but it’s not.
    I would like to make fellow kababayans aware about that misconception – There is actually Soy Pudding available that is packaged the same way as silken tofu is. Usually they are available at Whole Foods and Fresh Farms Market
    As for Gypsum powder, It can be bought at Chinese Medicine Stores both in the Philippines (that would have to be in Binondo) and the US. I bought mine at Chicago Old Chinatown; $6 for a pound. In California, it can also be found in Vietnamese groceries.
    I would have to thank you for making this post and other similar entries dedicated in making Filipino Dishes – It helps relieve our homesickness…

October 8th, 20124:59 pmat

You can try to double the recipe then follow the same procedure… Should work just fine…. 🙂

October 8th, 20125:03 pmat

@cyrus thanks for the info… And you are very much welcome glad you like other posts as well…

• gen writes:
    November 9th, 201212:07 pmat

wow. ang galing naman po ng recipe nyo. balak ko rin gumawa someday. =) hahanap muna ako ng ingredients. pag nakakakita kasi ako ng kakaibang ingredients, medyo nadidiscourage na ako. pero dahil po nakita ko naman na nagrereply kayo sa mga tanong, at nakita kong sa mga bakery ingredients shops maghanap, gagawa rin po ako nito someday! more power and thank you po!

• Elsie writes:
    November 12th, 20121:14 pmat

Hi, just tried making your recipe. I can say it’s very helpful. Thanks for the wonderful taho making experience. ‘will make again when i have time. 🙂

November 13th, 20129:45 pmat

You’re welcome Elsie!

November 13th, 20129:48 pmat

Hi Gen! Ganyan din ako dati, medyo overwhelming nga din talaga lalo na kapag may ingredients na unusual… Ako nga kapag ganyan hindi ko na ginagawa pero dahil gusto ko talaga ang taho nagpursige talaga ako… Don’t hesitate to ask questions ok?

• fatima writes:
    November 23rd, 201211:10 pmat

hello po! can i use plaster of paris as coagulant?