SIDEBAR
E
B
A
R
How To Make Homemade Taho or Tau Huay
July 4th, 2011 by niceyfemme

(First time I’ve tried making a video so forgive me for mediocre editing skills.)

I’ve been bad, really bad at blogging as I’ve been behind with lots of posts. Like with this taho trial, this is now my second attempt and the first trial I haven’t posted here tsk tsk! This time, I used Gypsum or Calcium Sulfate or Plaster of Paris. Don’t worry, it is safe as you only eat a small amount of it with every bowl of this heavenly dessert. The first trial I did made use of GDL or Gluco Delta Lactone. It is what they say is healthier as it is naturally found in fruits. So now that I’ve tried both, I can better compare two taho using GDL and Gypsum.

By the way, I’ve tried searching for “How to make homemade taho” but I did not find any. Well there’s one, but purely instructions and no way to know if that recipe is reliable or not. I wanted one with photos so it’s easier to follow and I’ll know what to expect visually as if you are doing it yourself. So now, I’m doing it. It’s a bit of a challenge to take pictures and trying not to mess it up but the taho/ tau huay we ate tasted and looked exactly like taho so I definitely succeeded again.

I can proudly say I have successfully made taho using both lactone and gypsum. Oh yes!

Here’s my recipe:

200 grams of soy beans (pre-soaked overnight)

1 liter of water

3/4 tsp of gypsum/calcium sulfate EDIT: Or use 1/2 tsp of lactone/GDL instead of gypsum

60 ml. of water

For the Brown Sugar Syrup/Arnibal: Mix 1 part brown sugar and 1 part water and mix well . Bring to boil. (Use the darkest brown/black sugar you can find.)

Skinned and washed beans, 60 ml water to dilute the 3/4tsp gypsum in, 1 liter of water and sago (tapioca pearls).

Difference of soaked beans overnight and unsoaked beans.

Step 1. After soaking the beans over night, gently rub the soy beans with your fingers to remove the ‘skin’. Then wash the beans.

Step2. Put half of the beans and water into the blender. So two batches. ย (If you have a bigger blender than ours, then go ahead blend all the soy beans and 1 liter of water at once.)

Pulse first. Important to do so since soy beans is one of the hardest beans there is. This is why we soak the beans overnight too, to soften it up.

Continue until well blended.

Step 3. Transfer to a cheesecloth to strain.

Then do the same with the second batch left.

Then squeeze until you get all the milk. (This is a workout in itself.) ๐Ÿ™‚

Discard the white flesh(?) left in the strainer.

Then strain again in another container, total of 3 times.

Step 4. Transfer to a stock pot and boil in medium high heat. Stir once in awhile to prevent from overflowing. Once it boils, simmer for 10 minutes. Be careful with this part, you might burn your skin with overflowing soy milk.

Boiling soy milk rises quickly, be careful to prevent overflowing. Just stir quickly or lower the heat.

Step 5. After boiling, strain once more. Now you have soy milk. Set aside.

Step 6. Dilute the gypsum in 60 ml of water. Make sure it’s well diluted.

Step 7. In a rice cooker or any pot like clay pot that retains heat well, pour the gypsum-water mixture and soy milk from a height of 1 1/2 feet. This is to make sure that the gypsum and soy milk are diluted well. You CANNOT mix this at this point. Then cover with a hand towel then cover and set it aside and NEVER PEEK for 45 minutes.

Now you have your own homemade taho! I hope you have your sago or tapioca pearls and brown sugar syrup. I made mine using the darkest brown sugar I found, it’s so dark it’s almost black and it’s called negra. ๐Ÿ™‚ My fussy mom with high standards likes my taho! I’m so happy.

The first time using GDL was successful too. I like that one too and using GDL is more forgiving with texture if you put a bit more GDL but it will taste a bit sour. With gypsum it has no taste but you have to make sure your soy beans and water ratio is correct, if not then you’ll have watery taho or if you put more then it will curdle. With GDL, the taho/tau huay/ tau fufa is more gelatine like and flatter, with gypsum it’s more springy(?) and like a flan. I hope I’m making sense. ๐Ÿ™‚ So which I prefer? Hmmmn, I can’t choose I like them both. I like that I have them both in our kitchen though. I can just use whichever I prefer.

I bought my GDL or lactone in Phoon Huat in Singapore and it was S$1+.. I don’t remember anymore. The gypsum I was able to find in a bakery store in Bacoor after searching for it here (Philippines) for years and it was only PHp 28.00 per 500 grams so gypsum is cheaper and you only use 3/4 teaspoon per recipe. No wonder taho vendors get rich. Maybe I should make this into a business. Hmmmn…… But I should use GDL for people who love taho but is not comfortable using gypsum/ plaster of paris (even though it is safe).

Now start doing this ‘experiment’. It is very rewarding knowing you can make this at home. It was not an easy feat for me as information is not readily available and I had to make a lot of research for this. Oooh! I’m thinking of another business. Taho making kit! LOL!

EDIT: 15 July 2011

I made another batch of taho and it just gets easier and easier as you get more familiar with it. Oh and this time around, after pouring that gypsum-water solution and the soy milk, I quickly removed the foam on top and immediately placed the towel and closed it. The result is smooth top and you don’t have to throw away the foam once it’s set. I’ll make another batch on Sunday and this time I’ll try a different soy beans-gypsum ratio.

EDIT: ย 22 July 2012

Here’s a photo of GDL or lactone I buy in Phoon Huat in Singapore in case some of you are interested to know how it looks like. I usually put this in my check in baggage just to be safe. This is pretty cheap (SGD1+) but is more pricey than gypsum. You only use less than a tsp for every recipe so a bottle lasts long. I got real busy and had no time to make my taho recently, too bad these are now expired. ๐Ÿ™

Related Posts with Thumbnails

243 Responses
  • Jeraldine writes:
    April 22nd, 20154:44 pmat

I need to make this for Sunday’s celebration of the two Filipino Saints. I don’t have much time to make it in the morning of that day. Can I make it ahead of time? Can I double the recipe and put all of it in one big rice cooker? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

April 23rd, 201510:13 pmat

Yes you can double the recipe.. Use a big rice cooker but take note you don’t turn it on or you’ll burn it and really it’s not needed. You can make it a day ahead longer than that it will firm up way too much.. Good luck!!

• Maria writes:
    June 13th, 201512:45 amat

Do you have a picture showing the final product using GDL? I want to see the difference of the consistency. Which final product is more consistent with the taho sold by street vendors? Thank you.

June 13th, 201510:47 amat

I know I have posted a photo using lactone but don’t remember which one. The street vendors use gypsum with the consistency of lactone.. Why is that you ask? Because their product is too diluted with water. Gdl gives a much softer and more delicate product than gypsum.

• maureen agarao writes:
    June 27th, 20151:04 amat

Hi Niceyfemme! It’s me, Maureen. Hope you still recall. Until now I couldnt forget what you taught me and still am always making my homemade tau huay. I can make a huge quantity, requiring a much bigger rice cooker! My family enjoys too much eating taho I make. I plan to use GDL to making fruit preserves since I have lots of stock bought from Phoon Huat lately. Got no idea as to the proportion to use. One more thing to ask, is it also possible to use GDL as coagulant to making kesong puti?

July 5th, 20156:02 pmat

Hi Maureen good to hear from you! Glad you’re still making taho. About using GDL for kesong puti I have no idea. Perhaps it’s your turn to experiment then share with me once you’ve done it? ๐Ÿ™‚ Best of luck!

• Teresa writes:
    July 9th, 201511:25 pmat

Wow thanks for sharing! Feeling yummy teast.

• Ronnie writes:
    August 1st, 20151:31 pmat

Can you use agar agar instead of lactone?

• edith roldan writes:
    August 3rd, 20155:31 pmat

Hello, just want to ask if I could also use lemon instead the one you using? There is no such thing here in the middle east ๐Ÿ™ if so, how much or measurement should I be use? Thank u for your respond, Godbless you more for sharing this taho mix ๐Ÿ™‚

August 9th, 20159:18 pmat

I haven’t tried lemon so I can’t recommend using that. Sorry. ๐Ÿ™

August 9th, 20159:19 pmat

I haven’t tried so can’t say. Sorry.

• Raul from Roseville writes:
    October 25th, 20151:13 pmat

When pouring the cooked soy milk sa rice cooker, dapat bang nasa warm ang rice cooker? Thanks for sharing this recipe.

October 27th, 201512:00 pmat

off lng siya no need to turn on..

• Hwilliams writes:
    November 3rd, 20152:37 pmat

Hi! Where can i buy this gypsum powder that you used?

November 3rd, 20153:06 pmat

I only know two places.. First is in Singapore and the other is in Bacoor Cavite.

• Hwilliams writes:
    November 4th, 20155:41 pmat

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I was able to bought it just this morning at Yusing General mdse… So for your other readers out there, they are selling Gypsum powder per kilo. It is located near blumentritt market. Tel# 711-3225

• Crystal writes:
    November 16th, 20154:19 amat

Mine just curdle again.. my second try.. and it seems a bit runny..

It seems as I can’t get the ratio right, how did yours turn out so well? I used gypsum with 4ml gypsum (3/4 teaspoon) + 60ml water.. is it wrong?
    Could it be the soy milk?

Do you cook the rice cooker or is it just on warm?

Please help..

• Raul from Roseville writes:
    November 23rd, 20155:19 amat

Hello again. Thank you for replying to my question about the rice cooker. Here I am still learning how to make taho and I need your help please. I tried to make taho today and it come out very watery and curdled na maliliit ang soy milk. Saan kaya ako nagkamali? Here are my ratios: 8 cups of soy milk and 6 na 1/2 tsps of gypsum powder that I bought from a brewery company diluted with 3 tbsp. water. Salamat ulit….

November 23rd, 201511:16 amat

Thanks for sharing!

November 23rd, 201511:18 amat

No need to turn on the rice cooker, don’t even need to plug in. Be sure to follow the recipe to a T as this recipe has never failed me yet. Don’t use pre-made soy milk I haven’t tried making taho using that so I cannot guarantee success if you use that.

Be sure that your gypsum is FOOD GRADE!

Good luck! ????

Niceyfemme

November 23rd, 201511:24 amat

Follow the recipe to a T po. Don’t change anything if you haven’t tried making this successfully. If you want to make a lot say for example 4 times multiply by 4 times all ingredients. I do not suggest making this much in one go I have only doubled the recipe before successfully.

Good luck po!

Niceyfemme

• Earl writes:
    November 24th, 20153:12 amat

hi! san mo po nabili yung soy beans mo? wala po akong makitang soy beans kahit san e.. hehe

• jodiwbrown7.wordpress.com writes:
    November 28th, 20155:41 pmat

jodiwbrown7.wordpress.com

Niceyfemme’s Bitter-Shweet Corner ยป Blog Archive ยป How To Make Homemade Taho or Tau Huay

• thedirtychemist writes:
    January 9th, 20164:03 amat

Thank you for the recipe! I tried it today.. but I may have messed up somewhere. I followed everything precisely and made no changes. However, I did pour the soymilk/gypsum mixture in a glass dish rather than a rice cooker / clay pot. I left it alone for about an hour and what came out… tasted like taho, but was very watered down in consistency.

Any ideas on where I could have gone wrong?

January 9th, 201612:15 pmat

Definitely the container where you left it to set. You need something that keeps the heat well hence the claypot and the same type rice cooker I used. Glass as far as I know does not keep heat well and it probably wasn’t sealed well either. Try again use the type of rice cooker I used and for sure your taho will set. Good luck!

January 9th, 201612:17 pmat

Ask around in your wet market. I bought mine in Zapote Bacoor market.

• Manilaboy writes:
    January 11th, 20169:56 pmat

Hi,,nag try ako gumawa twice,,pero matubig pa din,, sinunod ko namam lahat ganun din kinakalabasan,, ano ba mas magandang gamitin? GYPSUM or LACTONE GDL? thnx

• jarrold writes:
    June 8th, 20163:46 pmat

ilagay nio sa coolman..

• arlene writes:
    July 11th, 201611:29 amat

do you mix the gypsum mixture and the soya mixture ?

August 12th, 20162:35 amat

• Albert writes:
    September 21st, 20166:30 amat

Whats the purpose of gypsum powder?

• Aivee caceres writes:
    October 8th, 20165:56 pmat

Hi! San sa bacoor ka po nakabili ng gypsum? Need ko po kasi. Thanks for the reply

October 9th, 20163:10 pmat

Zapote Market in Bacoor…

October 9th, 20163:11 pmat

That’s what make the taho its texture

• Roland writes:
    November 1st, 20169:30 amat

have you tried just using soy milk?

• cora writes:
    November 14th, 20164:54 pmat

hi Nicey.

is the water hot or direct from the faucet?

soluble ba ang calcium sulphate sa tubig, parang turbid lang yong
    mixture ng calcium sulphate may natitira sa bottom ng glass

may ginawa ako 2x na pero laging matubig

salamat, very informative eto.

• Corazon writes:
    November 15th, 20167:42 amat

Good morning. May i know if the water is hot or direct from the faucet. Yong calcium sulphate ba soluble sa tubig, how long do you dissolved it, may natitita sa ilalim na hindi pa tunaw. I tried the recipe and procedure pero ang result watery, may nabuo yong sa bottom lang ng rice cooker.. Ano kaya problema, maraming salamat. A very nice blog with pictures pa ang procedures.

• Joe writes:
    December 17th, 20168:14 pmat

Hey, nice recipe i loved it and it looks really delicious. im just wondering where you buy your gypsum?

December 17th, 20168:21 pmat

Super Two Bakery Supply Store in Zapote Bacoor Market.. Good luck!

December 17th, 20168:24 pmat

Ready made soy milk you mean? No I make it from scratch..

December 17th, 20168:26 pmat

Sorry I just got to read your comments.. Are you sure your coagulant is food grade? Whenever I make this recipe it dissolves easily… please don’t turn on your rice cooker. If you have a thermal cooker that will work better that is what I use now keeps hot food hotter for longer period of time.

• Chris writes:
    December 31st, 20161:53 pmat

Hi Ms. Niceyfemme. Thank you very much for the recipe and procedure.

I just want to ask if you experienced any type of formalin like smell when making the soy milk?

I am not sure if it is due to the soy beans i bought or if I soaked them too long overnight (making the beans a little fermented?)

Thank you again and Happy New Year!

December 31st, 20162:17 pmat

Hi Chris! No never smelled any formalin smell in mine. Could be either of the reasons you mentioned? Best to try again with a new batch of soy beans one bought from a different store and don’t soak way too long.. We soak long enough only to soften the beans. Good luck and Happy New Year!