I’ve been addicted to tofu and tau kwa (or tokwa) for a long time now, but this addiction has reach a different level in the last few days. I only want to eat tofu and tau kwa to the point where Bee and I will head to places where they possibly serve tofu. Unfortunately, in the area where we currently live now, there’s not a lot of hawker places nearby. We have to go to a mall that’s 10-15 minutes walk from here and it is mall food, I want hawker food.
Of course, eating out is more expensive than if you cook at home. Another thing, one serving is not enough for me! So most of the time I buy two servings and with rice it’s not cheap. It’s also not wise to eat out often.
Then last night, our friend who cooks for a living cooked a lot of food for us all. Can I just say yummy? Ah jie cooked chicken curry which was so goooood! It’s not like how we Filipinos have it but it’s wonderfully delicious. Then a veggie dish. I watch his pro self cook and when I tasted that very simple dish I was hooked! Then I got an idea to use that same process with tofu. And it was a success! This has been a very successful experiment for me. YUM.
Tau Kwa with bean sprouts and lots of red and green chili.
Good thing I remembered to take some shots.
Can’t wait to eat this later. YUMMY. Like a chinese cooked this. Hhaha.
Goodbye to hawker bought tofu from now on! (I hope I find and have the time to cook…)
This is how I cooked this.
1. Prepare minced garlic 1 pc and 2 red chilies.
2. Saute together in very hot oil. Careful because this kinda “explodes”. Lots of splatter.
3. Then add the cubed tofu of tau kwa. Mix thoroughly. Then add about a cup of water.
4. Let it boil. Once boiling add the green chili and some broth powder.
5. Add cornstarch slurry. Add in a tbsp of sweet soya sauce. Mix well.
6. Add in bean sprouts, give a good mix then turn off the heat.